Tuesday 10 April 2012

Revision, writing and a spectacle of nature

This Blog also appears as a part of the Hodder Guest Blogger website and can be found at  



As I sit here writing this, looking at the rain streaming down our patio windows, my eldest two children should be revising hard for their A2 exams? Although there is some 21 months between them, they are both doing their A2 exams this summer (as my daughter gave up doing IB after a year).  Already we are talking about performance-related payments for results –they are both going on holiday with friends after results come out. My daughter may cost me a lot of money – she already has achieved enough UCAS points for her first choice university as a result of some excellent January module results and retakes on of some papers taken last year. My son, on the other hand, doesn’t quite have the same work ethic but is gifted at languages. He is however, also a talented sportsman and hopes to spend a gap year coaching sport at a school before university in 2013, while my daughter is following me in studying Geography

Despite my ramblings above, I spend a lot of time actively involving myself in their revision. My daughter is doing the same Geography A level I teach and as well as giving her extra sessions, I have been into her college and given her friends revision sessions. The two other A levels that are subjects I have taught in the past, so helping with revision is easy. My value to my son is limited as he is doing mainly languages.

In the run-up to the holiday, our academic deputy head spoke to all our exam candidates and along with a briefing on regulations, he spoke about the expectation to revise during the holiday period as exams will soon be upon us after Easter etc.  Modular exams have led to retake culture in many schools like mine, where Year 12 pupils think along the lines of why bother now when I can do it another time. Despite this talk, I have had a procession of emails from concerned parents, whose offspring where switched off when I spoke about revision and where to find the materials needed to revise. Our faculty tend not to give out sheaves of printed past papers but instead post all of the material our pupils need on our Virtual Learning Environment and they print off exactly what they need. Although the VLE has been around for a few years, it came into its own after the Eyjafjallajokull eruption in 2010 when around a third of our pupils (and some staff) where marooned overseas at the end of their Easter break. Despite this, relatively few pupils appear to use it though it is a useful tool to have on board when parents attempt to point accusing fingers (as they sometimes do in schools of our type).

Recently as a school, we have been debating the pros and cons of our pupils doing all of their modules at the end of the 2nd year of the A level course (possibly doing Pre-U exams in preference to A levels.)  Now, I read that the move away from modularity to linearity is likely to take place with universities taking a greater role in the setting of A levels. But wait, when I first started marking A levels in the days of the Mullet haircut and Borg and McEnroe reigned supreme at Wimbledon, Edexcel were known as University of London Examinations and we had linear exams.  All I hope is that we don’t return to having study two world regions (North America and South-East Asia were my specialities) or dreadfully tedious topics like central place and isodopanes (as suggested by Dr Alex Standish.)  Universities really could take the bull by the horns and introduce new, exciting topics that could inspire students to take Geography into the 6th form and beyond.

For most of the last 15 years, I have spent part of my Easter holiday in London working in tutorial college teaching revision courses. This is year however has been different. Numbers wanting to do Edexcel Geography A level revision courses seem to have taken a bit of a nosedive in recent years. Is this a sign of the times as far as the economy is concerned as these courses are not cheap? Probably not, according to the Director of Studies who organises these courses at the tutorial college  – that occurred around 2009/10. The more likely reason is that teachers in the schools, where most of the customers come from are teaching Edexcel AS and A2 so well, their pupils are getting good results. Instead I have spent time writing for publication in my holiday.

I always tend to have a couple of writing projects on the back boiler. My pupils seem to think that I am raking in the extra cash from various writing projects in a “David Waugh-esque” fashion. If only that was true! They are always very proud to show their parents the revision guide I contributed to and one group asked me to sign their copies. Another asked why I bother doing it all, if I don’t do it for the money. My answer was that a) I enjoy doing the research and writing and b) I invariably write about topics that will enhance my teaching and their learning. After around 5 or 6 different variations on a theme based on the Liverpool Rebranding for the 2008 Capital of Culture for various publishers, I am now researching my last Liverpool piece for the time being on ‘Managing Social Inequality in Liverpool for GeoActive. I will be then moving on to write about Rural Rebranding in Shropshire for Geography Review. A comparison of the success of rebranding in Ludlow and Wem is the plan – two places that seem miles apart in how they have tried to regenerate, but in fact are very similar. I have also written a couple of pieces for the GA Independent Schools Special Interest Group occasional newsletter that will be available at the GA Conference in Manchester later this week.

I would encourage all Geography teachers to publish. The likes of GeoActive and GeoFile are always looking for new authors – believe it or not the reason why the same authors always seem to crop up is that there are not many people willing to research and write. Geography Review is similar; the human geography editor told me there is a shortage of articles and asked me to a) write more and b) encourage as many people as I can to contribute.  While you are never going to be mega-rich, it does you get you noticed. I have had a number of requests to do talks at schools, colleges and GA branches on various topics as a result of published articles along with the member ship of a RGS-IBG working group. A section on your CV entitled ‘Recent Publications’ is impressive for prospective employers and shows academic rigour on your part. My head also sees the value of his teachers writing as it is all free marketing for the school.

Finally I can’t blog without reference to my greatest passion! With the start of the first class cricket season last week, the weather took a plunge this last week and snow was recorded in Shrewsbury (but not where I am spending my holiday in West Lancashire). With nothing to do on Easter Saturday, I decided to go and watch our local club play a pre-season friendly game at Neston, just north of Chester. Having heard that this weekend we have exceptionally high spring tides, I checked the tide times and found that high tide was around midday, I left an hour early than I needed to watch one of nature’s greatest spectacles at nearby Parkgate. Parkgate used to be a major fishing port on the River Dee, but since the estuary silted up around the 18th century, the port was abandoned and salt marshes now come right up to the old waterfront, while an eclectic mix of fisherman’s cottages and inns face the old wharf.

When there is a high spring tide, the spectacle of seeing various small mammals and birds fleeing the encroaching sea water is something not to be missed. I parked my car at the cricket ground and walked the short distance down to the estuary to be greeted by hundreds of people doing the same.

A description of what happens can be found here- http://www.deeestuary.co.uk/news1201.htm, while a you tube video (from BBC Coast) can be found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_XjmXoERfU

This week I am attending the GA Conference in Manchester- come and find me to say hello and have a tea or coffee Next week I will be blogging about the conference and my return to school.


No comments:

Post a Comment